Officials have cancelled the Saturday, October 2 program of Vermont Milk Bowl Weekend to due an inclement weather outlook and will make a decision on the Sunday program around 4:00pm on Saturday afternoon. (Alan Ward photo)
Officials have cancelled the Saturday, October 2 program of Vermont Milk Bowl Weekend to due an inclement weather outlook and will make a decision on the Sunday program around 4:00pm on Saturday afternoon. (Alan Ward photo)

Saturday Portion Of Vermont Milk Bowl Canceled

BARRE, Vt. — Thunder Road and American-Canadian Tour officials have canceled the Saturday, Oct. 2 program of the 59th Northfield Savings Bank Vermont Milk Bowl Weekend due to an inclement weather forecast.

The status for the Sunday, Oct. 3 card will be decided at around 4:00pm on Saturday afternoon.

While officials held out hope for Saturday racing as long as they could, every major weather outlet is now calling for an 80% chance of rain in central Vermont throughout the day. The outlook for Sunday remains in flux.

Pending how the Sunday forecast evolves, the tentative plan is to combine Booth Bros./H.P. Hood Qualifying Day and Northfield Savings Bank Vermont Milk Bowl Sunday into one day, with tweaks to accommodate the single-day format. Officials stressed that a favorable Sunday weather forecast will be needed to go this route due to the amount of racing involved.

If the weather forecast over the next 24 hours improves, Thunder Road will move ahead with the combined Sunday program and release an updated schedule. If tomorrow afternoon’s outlook does not lend itself to such a program, then both the Saturday and Sunday cards will be made up on a to-be-determined weekend.

When the determination is made whether to race on Sunday, officials will also announce how advance tickets and three-day pit passes will be handled. Contingency plans are in place for each scenario.

error: Content is protected !!