DAVENPORT, Ia. — It was a full night of racing action Friday at Davenport Speedway. With the pit area full of cars and two make-up features from July 7, a whole lot of laps were turned on the dirt oval.
Justin Kay won the make-up feature in the Petersen Plumbing & Heating IMCA Late Model division. Kay took the lead from Jeff Classen on lap four and never looked back. Matt Ryan was closest to Kay, but would settle for second.
Mike Goben had a solid run in third, followed by Andy Nezworski and CJ Horn.
In this week’s main, Andy Nezworski claimed his second feature win on the season.
Nezworski started tenth and grabbed the top spot on lap eight. Kay gave chase, but would finish 1.76 seconds behind Nezworski. Matt Ryan would finish a distant third with Gary Webb and CJ Horn rounding out the top five.
Spencer Diercks won the Eriksen Chevrolet IMCA Modified feature in Ryan Duhme’s car.
Diercks started 12th and quickly moved up to first by lap nine. Spencer rode the high side of the racetrack en route to the win. Charlie Mohr also used the high line to finish second. Matt Werner took third, nearly four seconds back.
Early race leader Mitch Way finished fourth with Brandon Jewell fifth.
Logan Veloz had to work for his fourth Matzen Trucking IMCA SportMod feature win of the season.
After starting twelfth, Logan’s progress slowed as he tried to pass early race leader Cole Stichter. Veloz was finally able to finish the pass on lap eleven. Stichter held on to finish second. Levi Heath would take third followed by Kasey Williams in fourth and Trey Grimm fifth.
Jeff Struck Jr. collected the win in the Koehler Electric Outlaw Street Stock make-up feature.
Cary Brown led the first three laps with Nick Hixson leading the next five. Struck then took over securing his fourth win of the season. Hixson finished second while Tony VonDresky drove to a third place finish. Landen Chrestensen and Jake Lund were fourth and fifth respectively.
This week’s street stock main saw Tony VonDresky cruise to his first win of the season.
VonDresky started seventh, passing Joe Bonney for the lead on lap nine. Jeff Stuck came up to pressure VonDresky in the final laps, but would finish second. Bonney held on for third. Nick Hixson and Shad Murphy completed the top five.
Kay scored the win in the Kunes Nissan IMCA Stock Car feature.
Kay jumped out to the early lead and led all 15 laps of the main. Matt Ryan took a run at Kay on a mid-race restart, but would have to settle for second. Third went to Perry Gellerstedt followed by Keegan Wells and Tad Payne.
Another week, another win for Cyle Hawkings in QCjeeps.com Sport Compact main.
Hawkins wasted no time going from fifth starting position to the lead in just four laps. The win was his seventh of the year. Shawn McDermott finished second. Brandon Dahl, Dustin Munn and Dustin Begyn were third through fifth, in that order.
Chase Brunscheen swept the Mini Late Models winning both the heat and feature.
Bowen Wilson took second in the feature. Kyle Pearson recovered from a spin to finish third.
Late Model Make-up Feature Results
1. Justin Kay; 2. Matt Ryan; 3. Mike Goben; 4. Andy Nezworski; 5. CJ Horn; 6. Gary Webb; 7. Chuck Hanna; 8. Colton Leal; 9. Dave Hammond; 10. Doug Burkhead; 11. Broderick Prescott; 12. Dan Kessler; 13. Jesse Bodin; 14. Jeff Classen; 15. Mack Mulvany; 16. Chance Huston; (5-DNS)
Late Model Weekly Feature Results
1. Andy Nezworski; 2. Justin Kay; 3. Matt Ryan; 4. Gary Webb; 5. CJ Horn; 6. Joel Callahan; 7. Chance Huston; 8. Mike Goben; 9. Joe ; 10. Jaden Fryer; 11. Steve Johnson; 12. Chris Lawrence; 13. Colton Leal; 14. Dave Hammond; 15. Broderick Prescott; 16. Josh Woodruff; 17. Dan Kessler; 18. Bryan Klein; 19. Jeff Classen; 20. Chuck Hanna; 21. Jesse Bodin; 22. Doug Burkhead; 23. Mack Mulvany; (1-DNS)
Modifieds Feature Results
1. Spencer Diercks; 2. Charlie Mohr; 3. Matt Werner; 4. Mitch Way; 5. Brandon Jewell; 6. Travis Denning; 7. Tony VonDresky; 8. Chris Zogg; 9. Matt Stein; 10. Scott Lemke; 11. Rob Dominacki; 12. Josh Starr; 13. Kyle Montgomery; 14. Jason Pershy; 15. Jon Coombs; 16. Jeremy Gustaf; 17. Richard Vela; 18. Donovan Lodge; 19. Steve Gustaf Sr.; 20. Eric Barnes; 21. Jordan Hicks; 22. Josh Geigle; 23. Dustin Smith; 24. Patrick Moore;
SportMod Feature Results
1. Logan Veloz; 2. Cole Stichter; 3. Levi Heath; 4. Kasey Williams; 5. Trey Grimm; 6. Rayce Mullen; 7. Justin Schroeder; 8. Rance Powell; 9. David Engelkens; 10. TJ Patz; 11. Kevin Goben; 12. Todd Dykema; 13. Matt Speidel; 14. Justin Veloz; 15. Tony Kraklio; 16. Bryan Ritter; 17. Pat Emerick; 18. Don Hatfield; 19. Jacob Mohr; 20. Cody Weih; 21. Will Emerick Jr.;
Street Stocks Make-Up Feature Results
1. Jeff Struck Jr.; 2. Nick Hixson; 3. Tony VonDresky; 4. Landen Chrestensen; 5. Jake Lund; 6. Cary Brown; 7. Shad Murphy; 8. Daron Oberbroeckling; 9. Joe Bonney; 10. Rob Henry; 11. Jesse Owen; 12. Nate Smith; 13. Austin Riggs; (1-DNS)
Street Stocks Weekly Feature Results
1. Tony VonDresky; 2. Jeff Struck Jr.; 3. Joe Bonney; 4. Nick Hixson; 5. Shad Murphy; 6. Cary Brown; 7. Landen Chrestensen; 8. Jake Lund; 9. Jesse Owen; 10. Tom Riggs; 11. Daron Oberbroeckling; 12. Kyle Anderson; 13. Nate Smith; (2-DNS)
Stock Car Feature Results
1. Justin Kay; 2. Matt Ryan; 3. Perry Gellerstedt; 4. Keegan Wells; 5. Tad Payne; 6. Rick Schriner; (1-DNS)
Sport Compact Feature Results
1. Cyle Hawkins; 2. Shawn McDermott; 3. Brandon Dahl; 4. Dustin Munn; 5. Dustin Begyn; 6. Todd Sibley; 7. Tim Sibley; 8. Lane Felske; 9. Jason Rhoads; 10. Hunter Pieper; 11. Joshua Muse; 12. Steven Phillips;