The first race of ASA STARS National Tour season gets underway this week, as some of the top drivers in asphalt late model racing take on the Clyde Hart Memorial at Florida’s New Smyrna Speedway on Feb. 13.
45 drivers have filed entries for the event looking to qualify or race their way into the 28-car starting field Tuesday night. One of those 45 drivers is the 2020 NASCAR Cup Series champion Chase Elliott.
He will look to find success that his Hendrick Motorsports teammate William Byron had found in the Clyde Hart Memorial when Byron scored the victory last season.
• Eight drivers from Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Ohio, including defending ASA STARS champion Ty Majeski and ASA Midwest Tour champion Gabe Sommers, will represent the midwest.
• Four drivers from Canada will be making their way down including Treyton Lapcevich, Jo Lawrence and NASCAR Canada driver Donald Theetge.
• Drivers competing in the Clyde Hart Memorial will score points for the ASA STARS National Tour, as well as ASA Southern Super Series and the David Rogers Super Late Model Series.
• Last year’s champions from ASA STARS National (Majeski), ASA Southern Super Series (Ruggiero), ASA CRA Super Late Models (Ruggiero) and ASA Midwest Tour (Sommers) will all be on the track for the first time together since winning their respective championships.
• 13 drivers from the state of Florida are entered including Stephen Nasse, Jeff Choquette and Brad May.
• The south’s best super late model drivers like Bubba Pollard, Casey Roderick and Connor Okrzesik will all be competing for the win.
• Young guns like William Sawlich, Ruggiero, Brent Crews, Ty Fredrickson, Caden Kvapil, Gavan Boschele and Dawson Sutton all are looking to make a name for themselves in the ASA STARS National Tour.